TLDEF is searching for an energetic and entrepreneurial Director of Development to grow the organization’s capacity for its next chapter to advance full and lived equality for transgender and non-binary people across the country. The Director of Development will design and lead fundraising programs that are strategic, data-driven, and sustainable. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will collaborate with TLDEF’s Board of Directors to identify and pursue new fundraising opportunities. The successful candidate will also be responsible for establishing best-in-class policies, systems, and processes. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, serves as a member of the senior team, and supervises one Development Assistant.
Planning: Design fundraising strategies and plans to meet the organization’s budgetary goals and objectives, with a commitment to using metrics to assess outcomes, and strategically adjust solicitation approaches. Develop systems, policies, and procedures that build the organization’s fundraising infrastructure to scale.
Institutional and Corporate Fundraising: Research, identify, and build relationships with new sources of grant and sponsorship funding; enhance relationships with existing grantmakers and funders; write letters of inquiry and grant and sponsorship proposals, including budgets; prepare progress and financial reports as required; lead preparation for site visits and ongoing correspondence with funders.
Individual Fundraising: Ensure consistent and meaningful cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities for current and prospective donors in all direct mail, and online giving programs. Expand major donor program to maximize TLDEF’s mission engagement. Work with Executive Director, board, and other staff in achievement of annual fundraising goals; drive aggressive prospect research and data analysis to identify new supporters; and rigorously evaluate and adapt programs as needed.
Special Events: Lead planning and execution of special events for the organization from planning to production, including the transformation of one annual awards reception into a gala event. Spearhead development of event sponsorship program. Develop a series of major donor cultivation events in key cities where TLDEF has a programmatic presence.
Leadership and Integration: Provide overall strategic leadership to the organization and its board from the perspective of resource development. Represent TLDEF at roundtables, meetings, and forums. It is anticipated the Director of Development will be responsible for building, leading, and mentoring a development team as the organization continues to grow.
• At least seven years of professional experience in planning and leading a range of successful fundraising programs. Candidates with CFRE credentials are strongly preferred.
• At least three years of supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated skill and passion for developing relationships with a range of stakeholders – including staff, board members, colleagues, donors, corporate partners, and elected officials among others.
• Proven record of raising financial support from individual donors, corporate partners, and foundations, as well as cultivating and stewarding those relationships.
• Proficient in Microsoft applications; research tools such as Wealth Engine; donor relationship management software (Salesforce preferred); and other kinds of Internet research.
• Experience with direct mail and online fundraising.
• Excellent project management skills, including meticulous attention to detail, strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to meet multiple deadlines under pressure.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• A strong understanding of LGBTQI issues required including a focus on transgender and nonbinary people.
• A demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice.
• Ability to travel as needed.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
To Apply Submit a compelling cover letter and resume or C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Director.” Applications submitted without a cover letter and C.V. or resume will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Additional Salary Information: TLDEF offers a competitive salary and a benefits package that includes transgender-inclusive medical, vision, and dental insurance, three weeks of paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick days, commuter benefits, and employer contributions to retirement.
About Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund - TLDEF
Founded in 2003, the Transgender Legal Defense & Educational Fund (TLDEF) is committed to ending discrimination
based on gender identity and expression and to achieving equality for transgender people through public education, testcase litigation, direct legal services, and public policy efforts. Along with its signature Name Change Project, which
provides free legal name change services to community members through partnerships with some of nation's premier law
firms, TLDEF's legal programs bring test-case litigation with wide impact in all areas of transgender equality.