The Mustard Seed’s Mission is to build hope and wellbeing for our most vulnerable citizens through Jesus’ love.
Working in concert with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and the Development management team, the Major Gifts Manager is responsible for raising funds in support of The Mustard Seed’s programs and capital needs. The role is to cultivate, solicit and oversee stewardship of donors with capacity to make a minimum $5K annual donation through championing a Relationship Management fundraising philosophy.
The incumbent is accountable for the effective development, implementation and execution of a regional strategic Major Gift fundraising plan, as well as the management of an active fundraising portfolio consisting of 75 to 150 accounts.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for ensuring goals for meaningful donor interactions (activity) and fundraising targets (financials) are met or exceeded, and will be accomplished through:
- Develop and implement comprehensive plans for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding gifts for the assigned donor portfolio, including upgrading existing donors.
- Develop and implement strategies to nurture, solicit, close, and steward individual, corporate, church, foundation, and association donations with a capacity to invest $10,000+.
- Develop major prospect lists and assist the CDO, CEO, Leadership Executive and senior volunteers in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Working in collaboration with The Mustard Seed stakeholders and members of the Marketing & Communications team, develop personal correspondence and proposal materials for prospective donors to generate gifts for priority projects.
- Working with Major Gift and Development Services staff, recognize and steward donors as the gifts are received, assist in preparing donor updates and reports as required, and provide strategic direction of stewardship activities including recognition events and tours.
- Coordinate and participate in strategy and debrief meetings before & following donor/ stakeholder meetings.
- Foster good working relationships with key staff, as well as with current and future partnerships in the Calgary community and integrating the organization’s strategic fundraising plan.
Leadership & Influence
- Elevate the reputation of The Mustard Seed and enhance donor loyalty to raise philanthropic contributions to support strategic priorities.
- Actively work with and support a Development Advisory Group of volunteers.
- Provide leadership for, and management of, a small fundraising team (2-3 employees), providing support and mentorship to help them achieve team and individual goals.
- Collaborate with colleagues on donor management to facilitate effective transition from annual, middle, then to major gifts and planned giving pipelines.
- Coaching colleagues, volunteers and others on fundraising to maximize impact, sharing knowledge, ideas, and updates in a timely and effective manner, being mindful of competing schedules and deadlines.
- Build and nurture effective working relationships with key development volunteers within the community.
- Prepare an annual business plan together with the Development team.
- Provide regular progress reports to the CDO and CEO.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and techniques of charitable giving and become informed about the tax aspects of charitable gifts and new legislation and revenue rulings affecting such gifts.
- Collaborate with other Mustard Seed staff and department teams to further the mandate and goals of the ministry by maximizing organizational effectiveness and impact.
- Successfully manage fund raising resources (budget, executive, staff, volunteers).
- Represent The Mustard Seed at community gatherings with partners and donors.