The Director of Communications & Direct Response is an integral team member of the Foundation’s Advancement Team. This role will require collaboration across multiple Foundation and Fraternity teams and excellent people and project management abilities.
This is a full-time position responsible for the strategic execution and management of a comprehensive communications program including the coordination and oversight of all direct response initiatives. The Director develops an integrated matrix of communications and solicitations involving email, web, social tools, direct mail, phone, personal visitation and volunteer engagement, all focused on shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support and donor retention.
Further, the Director has a keen appreciation for the significance of annual giving as the enabling component of successful major and planned giving by providing strategic direction and long-range/short-range planning for all these areas in the context of growing the annual giving program while supporting the greater development and campaign goals of the Foundation. The Director is also responsible for ensuring the Foundation is a leader among peers and aspired organizations as measured both externally in terms of total dollars, percentage participation, consistency of giving and average gift size. The Director is an active collaborator with the Director of Advancement Services in terms of designing, implementing and coordinating a comprehensive stewardship program that appropriately and consistently promotes engagement and recognition of donors at all levels.
- In conjunction with Chief Executive Officer and Chief Advancement Officer, establishes organizational communications and direct response priorities.
- Develops, maintains and oversees comprehensive communication calendar to ensure timely and appropriate communications and messaging with specific constituencies.
- Oversees the execution of communications initiatives.
- Oversees the development of various Case for Support documents and promulgates as appropriate across all communications channels.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of the organization’s websites and web/social media presence.
Direct Response Program:
- Develops comprehensive Direct Response development strategy that leverages coordinated, multi-channeled tactics that drive metrics based outcomes.
- Determines priorities and goals for all giving programs and builds strategic and tactical plans for achieving these goals. In particular, the Foundation would like to enhance its multi-week Founders Day giving campaign, unrestricted giving campaigns, and chapter restricted giving campaigns.
- Focuses on effective communication and solicitation activities within specific market segments identified as having potential for the greatest growth.
- Develops strong participation in annual giving and builds strategies for moving donors to higher giving levels.
- Identifies additional opportunities that aid in donor retention, appreciation and ultimately gift upgrade.
New Donor Welcome Series:
- Develops and executes donor acquisition and retention strategies grounded in best practices and measured annually.
- Develops and executes multi-year New Donor Welcome Series designed to retain new and renewed donors.
- Oversees all operations of, and/or outsourcing of, the TeleFund including staffing (i.e. recruitment, interviewing and hiring), data entry, report generation, donor stewardship, caller scheduling and integration of TeleFund activities with the Foundation’s database.
- If insourced, formulates and executes caller training and incentive programs.
- Manages and analyzes TeleFund giving performance, making operational adjustments as warranted.
(aspects of the role that will require particular collaboration and possibly shared responsibility)
- Supports the Director of Advancement Services in implementing a sustainable program that encourages undergraduate giving.
- Works with the Foundation staff to develop and implement stewardship strategies that strengthen long-term relationships with donors and their families.
- Devises consistent, accurate and appropriate information-sharing tools for stewarding prospects and donors.
- Partners in the creation, enhancement and implementation of giving societies for select audiences.
- Oversees and executes donor recognition activities around life-events such as initiations and anniversaries.
- Creates, develops and executes an effective and sustainable volunteer component within annual giving.
- Pursues continuing education and training on areas of direct impact on the role and the Director’s relevant professional development.
- Maintains the Foundation’s reputation for integrity, responsibility, caring and prudent management of donor gifts and Foundation resources.
- Provides ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Works closely with and reports to the Chief Advancement Officer. May supervise Student Lead Callers and Student Callers. Works closely with all Foundation and Fraternity staff.
Has regular contact, and in some cases manages the relationship with, the public, vendors, donors, alumni, undergraduates and friends of the Foundation as appropriate.