Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey (GSNNJ) is seeking a Chief Development and Communications Officer (CDCO) to join our senior leadership team. The CDCO will manage lead fundraising initiatives, corporate and foundation relationships, grant development, and direct mailings. The CDCO will develop and implement an agency-wide marketing and media plan that includes social media strategies, regular press releases, and community outreach and advocacy initiatives.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, she/he provides insight into external factors that may impact GSNNJ. The CDCO provides strategic direction and supervision to the fund development and marketing/communications teams. The best candidate will combine strong analytical skills, an understanding of the latest fund development and communications trends and a proven track record of hands-on leadership capabilities that maximize donor acquisition, engagement, and retention.
· Work with the CEO, Board of Directors, and Fund Development volunteers to provide strategic leadership that will result in a culture of philanthropy that is in alignment with GSNNJ’s strategic plan and annual goals.
· Serve as GSNNJ’s major gift and planned giving officer that results and fosters a donor-centric culture and ensures sustainable long-term relationships with individuals, foundations and corporate donors/funders.
· Create and cultivate a portfolio of individual donors and develop strategies that will result in enduring relationships with individuals, foundations and corporate donors.
· Identify new potential sources of funding using the latest trends and strategies in philanthropy (including individuals, foundations, corporations, annual giving, capital campaigns, planned giving, social media, and events).
· Support the CEO in building and deepening relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
· Oversee Fund Development operations, ensuring timely and efficient implementation of annual campaigns and donor acknowledgement.
· Prepare regular reports for the CEO and Board of Directors.
· Create and manage the fund development budget, annual work plan, and compliance with federal, state and local laws related to fundraising.
· Oversee the process for grant submissions and reporting that include applications, and grant solicitation letters to secure funding for programs, ongoing operating and capital needs, and other Council identified projects.
· Market, plan, and coordinate special events together with the development and communication teams.
· Assure effective alignment of fundraising efforts with council-wide marketing/communications and program strategies as well as with other departments.
· Gain in-depth understanding the Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey customer attitudes and behaviors
· Craft brand message, measure brand recognition, and monitor customer satisfaction. Develop plans to shape and maintain GSNNJ’s brand across social media and traditional communications channels for new and existing customers
· Oversee the marketing and communications team to create, implement, and manage strategies to expand the reach of Girl Scouting to internal and external audiences through various channels.
· Create, manage, and analyze the ROI of the marketing and communications budget.
· Continually refine marketing processes, procedures, metrics, and tools using data and competitive insights to grow GSNNJ’s brand
· Oversee the development of all council related marketing materials including print, video, and electronic materials.
· Provide coaching and professional development mentorship for Fund Development and Communications staff.
· Interface with other Girl Scout councils and GSUSA on national or regional events and initiatives.
Required Education and Experience:
· A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years in a senior position in the related fields of fundraising and marketing communications with demonstrated results. CFRE or ACFRE preferred, but not required.
· Prior experience in a nonprofit organization with a $4+ million budget.
· Demonstrated expertise with multi-year strategic and business planning.
· Highly motivated, adaptable, and able to function in a fast-paced environment.
· Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with board members, donors, prospective donors, alumnae, and volunteers
Ability to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid, sound decisions regarding management and marketplace issues.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of Senior Leadership Team.
· Experience with or knowledge of Benevon Model of Community Engagement preferred, but not required.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
· Valid driver's license/current insurance and ability to provide own transportation for travel within GSNNJ jurisdiction as needed. Occasional business travel beyond the GSNNJ jurisdiction as necessary.
· Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
About Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey
Girl Scouts of Northern New Jersey serves over 26,000 girls and 14,000 adults in Bergen, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, and north Warren Counties. With service centers in Paramus, Paterson, Randolph and Riverdale and camps in Kinnelon, Mendham, and Glen Spey, NY, GSNNJ provides leadership training by delivering a framework for girls to be active producers of their own experiences and successes. Focusing on three keys, Girl Scouting encourages girls to discover themselves, connect with others, and take action to create positive change in their own communities.